9-11 Ruminations



On September 11, 2001, I was living overseas. I remember that a local newspaper carried the headline, the next day, "Superman Cries." I very much wanted to buy a copy, but I had other priorities at the time. My mom was scheduled to be on an airplane on that day, and I was trying to track her down, make sure she was safe (she was), and then I spent a lot of time on the phone or trying to get online to talk it over with her and other loved ones. By the time I tried to pick up a copy of the newspaper, they were sold out.

It's interesting that at a moment like that, people would turn to a fictional character to try to make sense of the tragedy. They could have used the Statue of Liberty or Uncle Sam, the more usual allegorical figures of nationhood, but instead featured the comicbook Superman, with a single tear.

* * *

Via, Mind Hacks, An emotional timeline of 9-11.

UPDATE: See my thoughts 2011 reflections on 9/11 here.

Comments

Mayowa said…
Hey Tara,

I was just on the Literary Lab blog and I read the fascinating discussion on the Whither the Author-Artiste post. I thought your comments were great and I decided to stop by.

It is interesting that the paper picked a fictional character for that post. Goes to show, the power of words I guess.

I've subscribed and i look forward to your posts.
Tara Maya said…
Thanks. I like your blog; it's classy. I don't know to follow it, since it is Word Press.
Mayowa said…
Why thank you, maam.

That's an excellent idea (a way for blogger folks to follow), I'll look into it.

Until then, subscribing to the feed is probably the best way to get updates (google reader, blogger dashboard etc).