5 Movies I Recommend for Halloween - If You Like Spooky but Not Horror

 If you're looking for a great movie to watch tonight, after Treak-or-Treating, here are three movies I recommend. Here they are, in no particular order.

The Sixth Sense. 

This movie stands the test of time. It's spook and creepy enough to warrant being a Halloween classic, without being TOO scary or gruesome. Personally, I also prefer the tear-jerker ending to the "monster attacks to the end" technique employed in a lot of Horror films. 


Ghostbusters.

The original. Accept no substitutes. Sing along. 


I Cast A Spell On You.

There just aren't enough Paranormal Romance movies in general, not even themed around Halloween. I found this one this year and I really enjoyed it. It's like a Cinderella story, except if the story started with the Ball and the Glass Slipper was magic powers. 

The hero is a Warlock who accidentally loses his magic to True Love's Kiss. He has to find the woman who stole his magic and his heart... even though he's trapped in an arranged marriage to a Witch to save his parents magic smoothie company.

There is a secondary love story as well. One thing I enjoyed about this movie was that the connection between the Heroine and Hero felt believable even though it happened so fast, and also, that there was plenty of tension and conflict in the story even though there were no villains.


Forbidden Planet

This movie scared the weasels out of me as a kid. And I don't give up my weasels easily. As I've grown older, I've only come to appreciate the theme and the warning more. It's a classic that may not have huge special effects, but the underlying message--that the most dangerous monsters are those we can't escape no matter how far we travel--remains eternally fresh and frightening.


Werewolf By Night

This is the only new movie on the list, although perhaps by no coincidence, the cinematic style is a throwback to the classic Horror of the 1930s. It's in black and white--except for the eerie red glow of the magic jewel. 

A group of monster hunters arrive at a dark temple to enter a maze and a contest to the death to win the blood red jewel and the power that comes with it. The movie is only an hour, yet has more twists than some three hour movies I've seen. There's fighting, mystery, a dash of romance and sprinkling of humor. 


You can also enjoy my Halloween novella, a Shifter retelling of Romeo and Juliet, with a Halloween theme and a battle involving ghosts and goblins for good fun.

An Enchanted Halloween






Comments