Flash Sale on Mystery Novel: The Kitchen Khemist

 

Mark McFarland and Cynthia Pierson

Excerpt: The Kitchen Khemist

"What are you doing here?"

MacFarland could tell that Pierson was really pissed. "I had to call you. Jerry was in court all morning."

Jerry Baker was a lawyer for whom MacFarland frequently did investigative work. He was also the lawyer who often had to get MacFarland out of jail.

"The police report says you were resisting arrest and are suspected of arson. What the hell are you doing?"

"They've got it all wrong," said MacFarland.

"Of course," said Pierson without much sympathy. "So tell me what happened."

"Someone tried to start a fire at the dungeon. I was simply being a Good Samaritan, but I ran into some asshole cops who didn't listen to my story."

"You know, Mac, I'm getting tired of bailing you out of jail."

"I didn't have a bail hearing," said MacFarland. "I don't think I was really arrested."

"Fortunately for you, not this time. But it was close. So did you do it?"

"Do what?"

"Start the fire and resist arrest?"

"No! Of course not! Why would you think that?"

Pierson frowned at her former partner. "Someone who gets into as many scrapes with the law as you do probably is guilty of some of the crimes he's suspected of. Just going by experience, that's all."

"Well, this time, I didn't offer any resistance. A lot of good it did me! I still got tased!"

Pierson tried to hide her smile. "You were at a dungeon. Maybe if they let me use my Taser, I might be persuaded to go there more often."

MacFarland was about to make a cynical response, then realized that Pierson was actually back in a good mood. "Just make sure you wear that black undergarment thingie. You looked pretty sexy in that."

"Quiet, slave!"

MacFarland pretended to quiver in fear, and the two of them burst out laughing. "Can you take me to the dungeon so I can retrieve my truck?"

"I already took Rufus there. He drove it home this morning. There's something else I need to talk to you about. Have you spoken with Detective Forbes lately?"

"Not lately. Maybe last week. Why?"

"There's been a development in the case."


Click Here to Read.

Comments