Baby Learns to Crawl

My little boy crawled for the first time on January 7, 2007. Yes, I wrote it in my calender. :) He was only four months, three weeks old at the time. Now, five months and counting, he's crawling all over the place.

Well, specifically, he's crawling under my office chair, squeaking to be picked up. His idea of a good day is one spent entirely in my lap, alternated only with periods of time spent in his daddy's lap. Since we both work at home, he sees no logical reason this can't happen. What are parents for?

My mom says I'm spoiling him. (Ha! She should talk. She raised two of the most spoiled kids ever!)

But I'm not spoiling him! I am more than ruthless enough to let him cry himself silly on his playmat until he figures out that he can entertain himself with his toys for at least one fifteen minute period during the day. But we have no playpen for him yet and no matter how often I return him to his playmat and the company of his toys, HE JUST CRAWLS BACK UNDER MY CHAIR! Now, do you know how dangerous it is to have a baby under an office chair? I have one of those imposing, black Dark Side of the Force thrones, with a mesh back and pentaped rollar bottom. It rolls around on a plastic floor mat over the carpet in the room that serves as my office/baby's playroom.

Silly woman, you are thinking at this point. Why didn't she just purchase a playpen?

There is a good excuse for this too! First of all, the things they pass off as playpens in Target and Walmart are pathetic. They are so cramped, I don't see how the little buggers have room to turn over, never mind crawl, flip, kick and stand and all the other things he's doing. So we ordered a gym mat and plasti-fence system on-line. Unfortunately, by the time these items ship here, my son will probably have already figured out how to strap on his crampons and use his Black Diamond Viper Ice Pick to scale out of it.


You can see proof here: http://www.lotsalaus.com/tyr_crawling.html


By now you have probably figured out that this entire entry is just to serve two purposes:

1. Boast about the fact that my baby learned to crawl when he was only 4 m 3 wks old, when the average baby doesn't crawl until 7 to 9 months

2. Give a pathetic sob story about why I didn't finish this month's writing quota.

Hm. I feel better!


*

Comments

Anonymous said…
What a way to produce 1000 words! Though I am surprised you did not include a few "excerpts" from the alien lifeforce's views of the world around him...it would be interesting to see how he (or is it still technically an it?) perceives this world he finds himself in.

Sandy