Sugar 'n' Spicing Up My Heroine



Earlier I mentioned the need to add some flavor to my vanilla yogurt hero. I think I succeeded. I've certainly been having a great deal of fun writing his scenes.

The heroine's scenes, not so much, despite some great battles. I realized the battles were falling flat because we didn't know enough about the heroine to care if she got eaten by Ooze. She was suffering vanilla syndrome. So I've added some sugar and spice to her as well -- but not everything nice. She needed some flaws too.

Now I'm having a lot more fun with her scenes. What's especially cool is that the hero and heroine have complementary strengths and weaknesses. She's prone to tell tall tales; he ferrets out people's secrets. And so on. I can't wait until they actually meet. (Yeah, it's one of those things where we follow them each on their separate paths for a while, until, bam! paths collide.)

I'm also just enjoying being a groove. You know how it is, when the story flows like punch at a potluck. Your fingers fly over the keyboard as fast as flying monkeys and every scene marches into place. And you feel like, oh yeah, this is why I write. Why did I ever think I could give this up? Why would I ever want to do anything else?

O Laundry Stacked Three Baskets High, I see you looking at me with those puppy-dog eyes, but you'll just have to wait. I have a city to besiege! Bwahahahaha!

Wordcount: 24,541

Comments

Ban said…
If I add one of my laundry baskets to your stack will you even notice?!?
I really like seeing a hero and heroine who compliment each other psychologically. Sounds like you have a great match-up here!
Davin Malasarn said…
Nice to hear you are making a lot of good progress! I'm also cheering for your ooze, though. :P