How to Introduce Stories in an Anthology

I decided to write introductions to each story in the anthology, because the anthologies I like best include the author's behind-the-scenes comments. However, I had a problem because in some cases what I wanted to say risked spoiling the story.

I moved the "introductions" to the end of the story and made them "comments." Some of the comments are fairly neutral, discussing the techniques and inspiration for the story; others speak a little more personally.

Although I've kept the Comments short, my word count for the anthology as a whole is a little longer than expected: 47,000 words.

Comments

C. N. Nevets said…
I like comments at the end better for that exact reason. I can't wait!
Derek J. Canyon said…
That's a thick anthology at 47,000 words! How many stories is that?

My anthology is only three stories, weighing in at about 5,000 each. But, I'm also adding a 8,000 word excerpt from my novel.
Tara Maya said…
I have 15 stories. Most are flash, a couple are longer and two are novelettes. One short story and one novelette are extracts from my epic fantasy series.
Are you still expecting to release it by the end of October? Because some of us wants to buys a copy.
Tara Maya said…
I hope so. :P I want the ebook and the POD book to be out together, but if there are delays with the print, I'll go ahead and release on Kindle, and the print as soon after that as I can. I just want to make sure it looks purty first.
J.B. Chicoine said…
I think you are wise to place your comments at the end. I'd rather read the author's notes after the story has left its impression, without my being led along or predisposed.
Tara- Check out the book "I Wish Someone Were Waiting For Me Somewhere," by the French author, Anna Gavalda. (the english translation, of course) I loved it!
Jai Joshi said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jai Joshi said…
Author's comments at the end are always fun in understanding more of the story. Great idea to do that for each story in the anthology, Tara!

Jai