Seeking the Write Life: How Good Writers Make You "Feel"

Some great advice on how to evoke rather than merely describe emotions from  Seeking the Write Life: How Good Writers Make You "Feel":

It means, when the shocking reveal of critical information occurs, the writer gives most of their focus to the implications that cause the feelings, rather than the feelings themselves:

Rather than "John wasn't in New York when Samantha was killed? He could be the murderer? My entire body trembled. I sucked in a breath, unable to believe it could be true. John had lied to me! John could be the killer?! No!..." you'll find more of "John wasn't in New York when Samantha was killed? I knew I should speak. Deny it. But all I could see was her bruised and twisted body, lying naked in the sand, cold and alone. The way her hair twisted around her ear and stuck to the raw skin on her neck. The numb vacancy her death had left in my gut. Was it possible he'd done that? Was John that monster?"
Check out the rest.

Comments